Thursday, June 21, 2012

anyone have a lighter?

Kate had a much better night than the first one.  She made it until about 12:30 before the pain woke her up.  The nurses have now added another pain medication and something to relax her muscles in her back to the narcotic cocktail she is getting.  The additional medications helped immensely and she went back to sleep and stayed fairly comfortable the rest of the night.

Her fever has not subsided so they are checking her lungs for any signs of early pneumonia.  She had an X-ray about an hour ago and we should have the results of that soon.  They brought it in on a cart and did the X-ray right in her bed.  She had to roll herself onto a hard board then back up onto her side, it made her wince in pain but she did it without complaining.   Hopefully it is nothing and just from laying down and lower oxygen levels. 

I know she needs all this stuff done but I really don't like all these chemicals and radiation going into her body.  It's the polar opposite of how I've protected her since even before she was born.  I've always made a genuine effort to avoid exposing her to cigarette smoke, pesticides and too much processed food.  I'm the mom that made her sit in a car seat until she was almost 9 and the one that will leave a restaurant and drive to a different one if smoke is drifting near my family.  It's against my nature to let them just pour this stuff into her veins but I've learned when she is hurting not much matters at the moment but making it stop.  If a pack of cigarettes would ease her pain I'd stand next to her and light them for her.




8 comments:

  1. For Krista - You're such a good mom. An exceptional mom.

    For Kate - I hope you're doing well. Reading all of the posts here shows me so much about the young lady you're becoming. It's fun to watch because I was there with your mom when she was cooking you in her stomach (that's the weird way we say it in my family) and she's done everything to protect you. Get better. Everyone wants that. (But, no pressure. You don't need that.)

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell katysue that Kendra is always talking about Kate because she was worried and then happy the scared!So I hope she is doing much better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has to be so hard to watch Kate go through this Krista. Rest assured you are an amazing mom who has been blessed with a strong, beautiful and intelligent girl. You can tell that she is already strong like her mama. May you all continue to have strength in her recovery. I still remember smocking the frog dress for Kate for her 4th birthday~ Love to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate is lucky to have a great mom like you!! :D Stay Strong!!! Love ya, Hannah <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's Sweet Krista:) Hope she heals quick! Don't think about the negatives right now, think of the positives when it's all done and over with!:):)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, the cigarettes comment totally brought a white trash image of you to mind. Curlers, housecoat, slippers, talking like Marge Simpson's sisters with a beer in your hand. Nice:-)

    Our kids are a reflection of us-Kate's grace, strength, and beauty (inside and out) is so much you, Krista! Tell Kate she's my hero:-) Love you guys! XOXO

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved this. Stay strong. You are a great momma! My boys still remember the fun times we shared with you guys! They still eat from the catfood bowls from our family bookclub! Praying for strength and comfort as you go through this. Kate really is an inspiration!
    The Hinds

    ReplyDelete
  8. It will all be over soon kate, DONT WORRY!!! Your in my thoughts and prayers! I hope the pain goes away soon(: -sydney cavanaugh

    ReplyDelete